Civics Youth Group
Club Moderator: Mr. Rene Lerma
The club’s goals are as follows:
- Students learn to become active members of the school community, develop leadership skills and learn how to address issues without getting angry and support their opinions taking non-argumentative positions. Students learn how logic and argumentation can work in rational and logical ways to become productive members of the community and work for positive change.
- Helping students become young adults - providing them with the basic skills they need to both further their post-secondary education and assume leadership in business and in the community.
- Become positive role models for the rest of the students at St. Joseph’s Academy to emulate. Developing skills to address issues in a calm, supportive manner will inspire other students to handle volatile situations in a similar, calm manner. Civic Youth members will exemplify good behavior and will learn how to correctly take a stance about something near and dear to their hearts and support their own opinions in a respectful, calm manner.
- To provide our students with analytical reasoning, critical thinking and good listening skills—skills which will be vital to them in their college pursuits.
- Students will be able to create a sense of community and of civil responsibility as well as an acknowledgment of their own responsibility to the team members.