Memorial Gym Renovation begins with a New Roof
July 25, 2017, 7:54 am
Hound Collar Staff
With your help, we can SAVE OUR GYM!
For decades, many have considered the Saint Joseph Academy Memorial Gymnasium the jewel in the crown of our campus. Originally built in 1958 and refurbished in 1968 following Hurricane Beulah, the Memorial Gym has been featured in both Time Magazine and Progressive Architecture for its innovative design.
From one generation to the next, Bloodhound athletes have excelled on its floor and fans have cheered under its roof. We are now asking all alumni members who cherish fond memories of their experiences in the St. Joe Gym to make a gift to help restore it to its original splendor.
Over the past several years, a thorough needs assessment conducted by the Saint Joseph Academy Buildings and Grounds Committee revealed that our gym was in need of major renovations including replacement of; the roof, gym floors, windows, electrical wiring, new scoreboard and improved air circulation.
Spearheaded by the Alumni Golf Committee in 2010 and in partnership with the SJA Office of Advancement and Office of Alumni Affairs, the “Save Our Gym” Campaign is a vital restoration project focused on making the gymnasium a structure that is safe and functional while maintaining its historical beauty and value.
This summer, the roof of the gym reached a point where replacement was determined to be an immediate priority and the only option. Through funding that had been raised over the last several years in the annual Alumni Golf Tournaments and through the gifts of other individual donors, we were able to install a brand new roof on the Memorial Gym.
With the continued support and dedication of all alumni, parents, students, and friends, the SJA Gym is one step closer to being restored to its original splendor and providing a spectacular home to the fighting Bloodhounds for another 60 years.