Languages Other Than English (LOTE)
Languages Other Than English (LOTE) Department Outcomes
As a result of the required course of study in a LOTE Language, students will:
- Understand simple conversations in the target language.
- Speak in simple sentences with standard vocabulary in the target language.
- Write basic sentences in the target language.
- Read simple paragraphs in the target language.
- Describe prominent cultural features of Hispanic or French civilizations.
Students who complete the Honors program will:
- Speak in the target language on a given topic with fluency, clarity, and organization.
- Write a composition in the target language on a given topic with coherence, clarity, and organization, with a minimum of orthographic errors.
AP Spanish / French Language and Culture are language acquisition courses designed to provide students with the necessary skills and intercultural understanding to enable them to communicate successfully in an environment where the target language is spoken and as such, is an immersion experience requiring almost exclusive use of the language.
The LOTE Department is especially proud of the great achievement of our students in the 2013-2014 AP Exam results for both the Spanish and French Language and Culture exams. 100% of our students passed the exams with flying colors. The tests include reading comprehension with multiple choice questions and audio passages, followed by two timed written compositions and oral competencies. SJA is very proud of the outstanding accomplishment and dedication of our Spanish and French students.
Manuel Gámez, Chair firstname.lastname@example.org
Honors Spanish AP Spanish Literature
Roccio Casillas email@example.com
Spanish I A&B
Blanca Espinoza firstname.lastname@example.org
Beginning Spanish Intermediate Spanish Honors Spanish AP Spanish Literature
Rosa Lopez email@example.com
French I French II French III