Saint Joseph Academy maintains a code of dress and grooming consistent with its character as a private, Catholic, college-preparatory school. This code contributes to a seriousness of purpose, a constructive learning atmosphere, and the development of sound personal habits and a positive self-image. Violations of any of the policies listed herein will result in disciplinary consequences.
Parents are expected to support this policy by ensuring that their children wear only the approved school uniform provided by Parker School Uniforms.
Students’ failure to comply with dress and grooming regulations will result in disciplinary action. Repeated failure to comply with regulations may result in disciplinary action and/or being sent home. Students are expected to be in proper uniform when they arrive on the campus.
- Choice of khaki or navy blue uniform pants or shorts with black or brown belt.
- Choice of Oxford shirt (long or short sleeves) in white, blue or blue/white stripes or school polo shirt in black or white.
- Shirts must be tucked into trousers/shorts.
- T-shirts worn under uniform shirts must be WHITE.
- Hair is to be neat and well groomed, with no Mohawks or spikes. Hair should not touch the collar and should be groomed around the ears. Sideburns must not extend in length farther than mid-ear.
- Pony tails are not allowed.
- Solid color white, black, navy blue, or gray ankle or crew socks must be worn. Socks must be visible above the top of the shoe. Socks that are not visible will be treated as if the student were not wearing socks.
- Well-trimmed mustaches are acceptable. Beards are not acceptable. With the exception of well-trimmed mustaches, faces are to be clean-shaven.
- Earrings and other visible piercings are not allowed.
- Makeup and other cosmetic products, including nail polish, are not allowed.
- Choice of uniform slacks or shorts in navy blue or khaki.
- Choice of 1) Oxford blouse (long or short sleeves) in white, blue or yellow, 2) fitted over-blouse in white or blue, 3) middy blouse in white, or 3) school polo shirt in black or white.
- Solid color ankle, crew, or knee socks in white, black navy blue, or gray must be worn. Socks must be visible above the top of the shoe. Socks that are not visible will be treated as if the student were not wearing socks. Over-the-knee socks are not allowed.
- Oxford blouses and polo shirts must be tucked in.
- Appropriate makeup is permitted only in grades 9 through 12.
- Hair-styles are to be neat and well-groomed.
- Multiple ear piercings are permitted, but are not to exceed more than two earrings on the lobe only of each ear.
- T-shirts worn under uniform blouses must be WHITE.
- Colored undergarments must not be visible through the uniform blouse.
- Boots of any type are not permitted to be worn with skirts or shorts.
- Solid color tights in white, black, navy blue, or gray may be worn during cold weather.
Boys and Girls
- All buttons on shirts and blouses must be buttoned except the top collar button on Oxford or polo shirts.
- All pants with belt loops will require a black or brown belt.
- Uniform sweaters and sweatshirts are not mandatory but are available from Parker School Uniforms for cold-weather use.
- Sweaters may not be worn around the waist.
- Long sleeve undershirts may not be worn under short sleeve uniform shirts.
- Caps of all types must be worn properly and are not permitted to be worn indoors (bills of baseball caps facing forward only).
- Hairstyles must be neat, well-groomed, and appropriate. In case of doubt, the Dean of the Middle Division and/or the Asst. Principal for Student Affairs will decide whether a particular style or hair color may be worn.
- Visible body piercing or tattoos
- Clothing that is torn or tattered
- Flannel shirts
- Studded belts, wrist bands, and other non-uniform accessories
- Sandals or rubber flip-flops
- Slogans or writing on T-shirts worn under shirts or blouses
- Backless shoes, backless tennis shoes, or clogs
- Any apparel, jewelry, haircut, or hair-style deemed inappropriate by the administration
Students are allowed to “dress down” with a red or white shirt or blouse on Spirit Days and other designated days. Many dress-down-days require a small contribution in exchange for the dress-down privilege. On such days, students must purchase and display the official “sticker” (or other token) in order to dress down. Dress-down stickers must be worn prominently on the chest portion of the blouse or shirt. Any student who does not display a dress-down sticker and who is not dressed according to normal dress code is considered in violation of the dress code and may face disciplinary consequences, including disciplinary detention.
Students who choose not to participate are to be dressed according to normal dress code.
While other regulations may apply on specific dress-down days, students must dress in good taste at all times. Acceptability of dress on dress down days will be determined by the administration.
The following are prohibited:
- Sandals, flip flops, capri pants, shorts, sweat pants, wind pants, PJ pants, sleeveless shirts, halter tops, crop tops.
- Clothing with holes.
- Clothing that exposes the midriff or lower back to any degree at any time, including with arms raised.
- Clothing displaying slogans or graphics that are offensive, violent, vulgar, obscene, or inappropriately suggestive.
- Clothing displaying promotions for drugs, tobacco or alcoholic beverage products.
Students in violation of dress down day regulations will be asked to change and/or given disciplinary consequences. Students who refuse to comply will be suspended from classes and/or sent home.